Fatty liver shown in radiology report. Will it lead to cancer?

Apr 2014

Dear Dr Firstly I would like to say thanks I have sever degree fatty liver, the report of Pathology is as follows. 1-Cholesterol 232 2-Triglycerides 366 3-HDL 37 4-LDL 121 5-VLDL 73 6-UREA 15.80 7-GGTP 87.00 8-CALCIUM TOTAL 8.50 Radiology Report Impression 1-Severe degree diffuse fatty liver 2-Focal Cholesterosis of Gall bladder Dr Kindly let me know that in this condition is that possible it will convert into CANCER
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Condition is treatable with medicines and exercise Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You have severe fatty liver and lipid profile is deranged. So,you have to be cautious and change your life style. If you are alcoholic or smoker,you should quit it immediately. Fatty liver is reversible state and it can be controlled by drugs and life style modification.You can take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid tablet 150 mg twice daily for six months.It will help in regeneration of damaged liver cells.You can have follow up reports after that. Lipid profile is also deranged.So,you have to take tablet atorvastatin 10 mg and fenofibrate 160 mg combination and you should continue it.It will correct your lipid parameters.Besides drugs you should also increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking etc.Uncontrolled lipid profile have many systemic effects it should be controlled. Focal Cholesterosis of Gall bladder doesn't require any treatment.It is due to altered lipid profile.It is non cancerous state and it will not convert into cancer. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Fatty liver shown in radiology report. Will it lead to cancer? 12 hours later
Dear Dr Thank for your reply I was expecting reply from any Gastroenterologist to know the actual picture of my disease and I am not satisfied about the amswer given. Please help me know more the following things. 1-I have Severe degree diffuse fatty liver. ( Please answer what is this? and which type of problem come up in my life. 2-Focal Cholesterolosis of Gall bladder. ( Please brief about is. ) I have gone through the medical check with Gastro and got done Fibroscan Endoscopy & Rapid Urease Test reports awaited that is why I am worried. Firstly I want to know that why Dr has suggested me to get following test done. 1-Fibroscan 2-Endoscopy 3-Rapid Urease Test ( during the Endoscopy they have decided to done Rapid Urease Test and its positive if its positive then what will be problem ) and what is Helicobacter pylori and if its positive then its recoverable or not. 4-HbsAg Result Normal 5-HCV Normal 6-Uric Acid Normal 7-Thyroid Normal I have started following medicines. 1-Tab Razo 20 mg 2-Tab Heptral 400 mg 3-Tab Atorva 10 mg 4-Tab Fendlip 145 mg
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Fibroscan is for detecting liver stiffness. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query 1.Severe degree diffuse fatty liver shows that there is extensive fat deposition in liver cells. 10% cases of alcoholic fatty liver converts into cirrhosis and eventually it may convert to carcinoma.Association of cirrhosis and liver carcinoma is established even in non alcoholic fatty liver. As already described fatty liver is reversible stage. 2.Focal Cholesterolosis of Gall bladder is the deposition of cholesterol granules in the wall of gall bladder.You shouldn't be worried about this.It is nonmalignant condition and it happened due to increased cholesterol level in your blood. 3.Your doctor has advised for fibroscan because of severe fatty liver.He wants to see elasticity of liver.Due to advanced fatty liver,there is some fibrosis and elasticity of liver is decreased and propensity of cirrhosis is increased.So,doctor wants to confirm it. 4.Endoscopy is routinely done in advanced cases to see collateral vessels.Probably your doctor also observed ulcers during endoscopy,so taken a biopsy and send for H.pylori test. H.pylori is a bacteria and it is associated with gastric ulcer in some cases.So,radical treatment of ulcer and H.pylori is required. You are taking right medicines.Same drugs were suggested by me.Unfortunately you didn't satisfied.You should continue these drugs and get fresh reports of LFT and Lipid profile after one month. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX