Fatty liver, inflammation, pain in right side of ribs. Family history of NASH. Causes for fatty liver?

hi, i am 37 year old female, my doctor has diagnosed me with fatty liver, witch has inflammation. i have constant pain in the upper right ribs. i have to go back for more tests.
the problem is i am worried because i just lost my auntie (mums sister) last week to n.a.s.h.
i have never drunk alcahol in my life, i am worried iv inherited this from her?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 5 hours later

First of all relax, as fatty liver is quite common. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese. Genetic tendency has been reported in patients.

Some suggestions for you:

1) You need to do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily which is utmost important in this.

2) Avoid saturated Fats such as: lard, cream, cheese, eggs, etc.
Hydrogenated fats such as: shortening, margarine, refined and rancid oils

3) Avoid highly processed, refined foods, Coffee, Chocolate, Sugar, Spicy Foods, Fried Foods.

4) Eat high fiber meals, vegetables and fruits.

5) Drink lots of water and avoid soda, colas, alcohol, smoking.

Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver. You can discuss with the Physician regarding its use in your case.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.