Fatty liver disease, had RA, taking MTX and Ibuprophen, worried about flat non itching round spots on the chest

I have had RA for at least 6 years. I recently completed a 5 year clinical study for the drug Golimumab. I am now only taking MTX and Ibuprophen for my symptoms as I have not insurance and will probably enter another study. I have fatty liver disease and my liver enzymes have, at times throughout the study, been elevated. I have developed a strange non-itching rash of flat round spots, about .5cm in a whorling pattern on my chest. Is this serious? I noticed it about a month ago and it just seems to stay the same.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

It would be good to know when did the rash appear, how long? Did it start after MTX?

Whorl pattern of skin eruptions on the body may be drug induced. Not much is known about the drug Golimumab. Methotrexate can also cause skin reactions.

You also mentioned that the liver enzymes are raised, such factors also cause few skin problems.

A physical examination is needed by an Expert dermatologist to figure out the best possible cause of these skin eruptions. Alternatively you can also contact the personnel who were involved in trial monitoring and they will confirm if it is due to the new study drug. Taking anti allergics orally might help.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Fatty liver disease, had RA, taking MTX and Ibuprophen, worried about flat non itching round spots on the chest 4 hours later
I've been on the MTX for over 5 years. I doubt that it is the culprit. The only new drug I am taking is gabbapentin for numbness and tingling. I've been taking it for about 3 mos.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Gabapentin is not usually associated with such skin reactions.

However you need to check its relation with Golimumab with the trial personnel.

Non progressive rashes does not seem concerning to me. A treatment plan can be formulated after discussing with trial personnel and the dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.