Fatty liver disease, gall bladder removed, high bilirubin, started new diet plan. Should I be worried about this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease. Also I just had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. Before my bilirubin was at 1.7 total bilirubin and 3 weeks later it was at 1.5 total bilirubin. It still shows as high on the labs scales. I have started a new diet plan of only fruits and vegetables and whole grains and beans only with NO meat, and I now go to the gym to exercise 4 times a week. Should I be worried about this? My doctor says that this levels "could be" XXXXXXX so I am just unsure of what to do. I am only 26 yrs old and don't drink alchohol. Also would going to the tanning bed help reduce bilirubin levels? What else can I do to get my body back into good health, I am so worried that I will die that it has consumed every moment of my day. My doctor scared me, but I could get no real answers from her.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 14 hours later

Fatty liver is a disease wherein the metabolism of fat by the liver is deranged, If can give rise to cirrhosis at a later stage. Did your gall bladder contain gall stones? Irrespective of what has happened but based on your current blood reports you need to attend to the fatty liver issue at the earliest.
1. Reduce the intake of saturated fat.
2. Increase the content of protein in the diet.
3. Increase the fiber intake especially those vegetables XXXXXXX in B 12 and folic acid.
4. Tricholine citrate is a liver tonic which works very well on the liver cells in cases of fatty liver. Continue this for 6 months.
5. flavonolignans (silymarin) therapy for 6 months.
6. L ornithine L aspartate for 3-4 weeks will also help.
7. Regular exercise in the form of cardio training only. Do not indulge in heavy muscular workouts.

Follow the above measures after consulting your gastroenterologists and repeat an ultrasound and liver function tests after 6 months of therapy.

I am sure you should be relieved of the problem.

Follow-up: Fatty liver disease, gall bladder removed, high bilirubin, started new diet plan. Should I be worried about this? 3 hours later
No gallstones just a low ejection rate of bile! But I want to
Know if I follow those recommendation by you
can I stop the progression of and reverse fatty liver
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 54 minutes later

Hi and thanks again,

If the gall bladder does not contain stones or sludge, the chances of it causing biliary dyspepsia is very less. So removal of the gall bladder is not the solution to the problem of fatty liver.

If you follow the advice given by me, the progression of disease can surely rather definitely be stopped. This will be evident by improvement in liver enzyme levels as well as decrease in the amount of fat deposited on the liver.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have any more concerns. If I have addressed all your concerns, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Best wishes