Fatigue,blood in stool,headache,irritability,blurred vision

25, Male, 6'5, 300, No medical history worth mentioning.
Recently I've been very light headed and just absolutely drained of energy. I sweat heavily at night and sometimes my arms and legs tingle and feel a little numb. I just noticed bright red blood in my stool for the first time. Other regular symptoms such as a light headache, irritability, blurry vision.
My first thought when this started was blood glucose but meals have absolutely no affect on my symptoms.
I noticed that an iron deficiency almost perfectly matches my symptoms as well. I've got an appointment Friday but if there was something simple I could do in the meantime before I get checked out to help me with this I'd be really happy. All these symptoms together have proven to be debilitating.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I agree with you because the symptoms that you have mentioned, one of the possibilities is of infections, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypothyroidism, disorders of the hypothalamus, psychiatric disorders like depression and sleep-related breathing disorders (less likely in your case).

First of all, you need to get a complete blood count especially your hemoglobin levels to rule out any anemia and your thyroid profile done.

bleeding from somewhere close to the anus because closer the source of bleeding is to the anus, the brighter red the blood will be. If it is fresh blood and only streaks along with hard stools and pain in the anal region while defecating, it could be because of anal fissures (injury to the mucosal lining by hard stools which bleeds).

It is a common cause in your age. Haemorrhoids (piles) can also result in blood in stools which is bright red in color. Anemia may result because of chronic blood loss from the bleeding site. To rule out both these conditions, you have to get a physical rectal examination and a proctoscopy from a gastrointestinal surgeon done.

Till you get it checked from a surgeon, sit in a tub of bearable warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Also eat a diet XXXXXXX in iron XXXXXXX foods like red meat and spinach and take some iron supplements.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.