Fatigue, weight loss and hair loss. Have raised AST and ALT level. Worried for red vomit and stool

Gastroenterologist
Question
Ast 334 alt 278 symptoms as of this exact instant are : PAIN extreeme pain, others are fatigue, excessive hair loss, weight is just dropping daily, if i eat in less than 15 min i am in major pain , the blood work was done because i was perscribed tegratol BUT I DID NOT TAKE IT the doctor(psychiatrist) said i need an MD or to go to the E.R. but i couldnt go i had no babysitter i am in big pain right now
its 6:30pm XXXXXXX time ... I just threw up and i have not eaten or drank anything red or pink (I ate chicken no dipping sauce drank a lil soda and a lot of water) yet there was red/pink in the toilet when I vomited
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hi
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The AST and ALT are very high and are suggestive of liver involvement.
The red vomitus could be probably hemetemesis (blood vomiting) which can occur in certain liver diseases.
Since you are in pain, the second possibility is ulcer disease causing both pain and blood vomiting.

It is an emergency and you should report to ER immediately.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Fatigue, weight loss and hair loss. Have raised AST and ALT level. Worried for red vomit and stool 9 minutes later
the p.a. at the place where i go said that she thinks it could be pancreas?? what exactly do i tell the ER i dont have insurance and i know if i go up there just saying my stomach hurts they are going to have me wait for HOURS AND HOURS is this something i could go to a private doctor about and if so what kind of doctor

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 minutes later
You could tell the ER people you are having blood vomiting.
An upper GI endoscopy has to be done.

If you want to go to a private doctor, you need to go to a gastroenterologist.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Fatigue, weight loss and hair loss. Have raised AST and ALT level. Worried for red vomit and stool 12 minutes later
I'm sorry, but i don't feel like you are telling me anything other than common knowledge. I guess I should ask what you would tell a patient sitting right in front of you in your office. What do you think all of my symptoms added together point toward the most?? I know I can not hold anyone on this site responsible for my diagnosis nor would I try to. I just would like to hear a more conclusive answer.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 minutes later
I have told in my first post itself about the possibilities.
1. Liver disease
2. Peptic ulcer disease.

The high AST and ALT points towards liver disease. Liver disease can cause portal hypertension ( high pressure in the portal venous system) causing blood vessels in the food pipe to engorge which may bleed.

The severe abdominal pain may also occur in peptic ulcer disease which can also bleed.

To know whether it is due to liver disease or peptic ulcer, an upper GI endoscopy should be done. I have mentioned about it already in my earlier post.

It is not time for a detailed discussion online. But it is time for early intervention and so I advised you to go to ER.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Fatigue, weight loss and hair loss. Have raised AST and ALT level. Worried for red vomit and stool 5 minutes later
Ok thank you Doctor. I will consider going to the ER and I will aslo leave a positive review now.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 27 minutes later
Thank you..