Fatigue, tired, ache, body chill, ultra gold rapid HIV test negative

Excellent

Question
I have been feeling real fatigued, tired, achey, and body chills going on 3 weeks now. I am not sure what is going on.

Went to PCP and he ran the test attached along with a Ultra Gold Rapid HIV test that came back negative.
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

I have seen your reports and from the report of raised indirect bilirubin and having chills for the past 3 weeks, it is important to rule out malaria which involves high fevers, shaking chills, flu-like symptoms, and anemia.

The mainstay of malaria diagnosis has been the microscopic examination of blood using blood films (PS-MP). Malaria parasites can be identified by examining under the microscope a drop of the patient's blood, spread out as a "blood smear" on a microscope slide. You can also get blood tests done for malaria antigen.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fatigue, tired, ache, body chill, ultra gold rapid HIV test negative 8 hours later
If you see the peripheal blood smear is uploaded and that was normal wasnt it?

If fever is a symptom I have not had a fever at all during these instances?

Should I speak with an infectious disease doc to rule other things out? Could it be a virus?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If there is no fever associated then it can be due to hypothyroidism (ruled out in your case),anxiety and panic attacks,hypoglycemic attacks andhyperhydrosis(excessive sweating). Sometimes, patients who have recovered from a febrile illness continue to experience chills in the convalescence period.

Get the malaria antigen test done after consulting an infectious diseases specialist. Viral infections can also present this way and should be ruled out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fatigue, tired, ache, body chill, ultra gold rapid HIV test negative 20 hours later
I am consulting you as a second opinion.

The first doctor suggested a blood culture......? What would that show and do you think that is a necessary test?

He also suggested a C Reactive Protein test? Do you feel that is necessary?

I assume a infectious disease doc would look a little more in depth for different kinds of viruses, fungus, bacterias?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Blood culture is a microbiological culture of blood. It is employed to detect infections that are spreading through the bloodstream (such as bacteremia, septicemia amongst others). Since you are having chills, so your doctor may want to rule out any infection in blood.

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein found in the blood, the levels of which rise in response to inflammation. It develops in a wide range of acute and chronic inflammatory conditions like bacterial, viral, or fungal infections; rheumatic and other inflammatory diseases; malignancy; and tissue injury or necrosis. Your doctor may want to rule out all sources of chills and fatigue, so he is getting these tests done.

You can take an opinion from an infectious diseases specialist and get these conditions ruled out.

Regards.