Fatigue, symptoms of viral infection without fever

My son is 18 and feeling weak for a couple days, I thought he was getting a cold. Now he is randomy shaking feeling cold and has a muscle tidness. Should I take him to the emergency room?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

Definitely you need to take your son to the Emergency Room and get him evaluated.

One of the strong possibilities for his symptoms is a Viral Infection but if there is no fever associated then it can be due to Hypothyroidism, Anxiety and Panic Attacks, Hypoglycemic Attacks, Hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) and due to hypothermia (low temperature).

It is advisable to first have the investigations for fever like Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, Complete Blood Count, Blood Culture, Blood Test for Malarial Parasite, Widal Test, X- XXXXXXX Chest or Sonography of the Abdomen to exclude any of the pathologies associated with fever. If negative, then Viral Infection should be explored.

Meanwhile, keep him well hydrated and make him wear cotton clothes and have a diet XXXXXXX in Vitamins and Minerals like Soups, Broths etc.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.