Fatigue, sleeplessness, acid reflux, muscle spasms, headaches. What are causing these symptoms?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
My daughter is 14. She is fatigued all the time. Her arms fall asleep every night and she does not sleep well. She has acid reflux. Her tests for autoimmune diseases came back negative (though they were positive at age four). She has hot flashes daily and her mouth feels dry even after drinking water. Her skin is normal. Her weight is normal. Her ear fell asleep last night (is that even possible?). She is shaky often even after eating. For a period of time, she was having muscle spasms, though they went away. She has headaches almost daily. She is active in soccer and is an excellent student at school. What could this be that is causing her symptoms. Also, she tells me she feels sick every day. XXXXXXX her mother
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query

Here is some information that I will need to help you better

What autoimmune tests were positive at her age of four?
What is the complain when she feels her arms are asleep?
Can she hear properly from the affected ear? Though this cannot happen but may be she is confused describing her symptoms

Does her headache needs any treatment or subsides by itself?
Does she have sight problems?

How long has she been suffering from acid reflux?
Is she presently on medications ?

Revert back with this information and I will help you out
Wishing your daughter a Speedy Recovery

Follow-up: Fatigue, sleeplessness, acid reflux, muscle spasms, headaches. What are causing these symptoms? 21 hours later
I treat her headaches with Advil though she hates taking it. She has complained about her stomache pain for over a year but just received the diagnosis a week ago. Her ear went numb then hurt a lot. Her arms fall asleep nightly. She said it's not weakness but rather the typical falling asleep that requires her to move her arms until they tingle and "wake up." It happens several times throughout the night and wakes her up. It does not happen during the day. She can hear fine in her ear. Her headaches do get better with time though do hurt for several hours. She wears contacts and glasses. The only unusual factor with her eyesight is that this year her prescription changed three times in six months. Otherwise her eyes are fine. At age four she had positive XXXXXXX Her sedrate (sp?) test showed inflammation. There were other tests along that line that were positive but I cannot remember what they were. The specialist said she did not have Lupus after an exam. There have been no symptoms for ten years until now. She is taking Prilosec.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your followup query

The headache can be due to her vision problems, prescription changing thrice in six month is not acceptable,Advil [Ibuprofen] Is known to cause gastric upset and reflux so better avoid it

Instead get her vision stabilized and in case of need give her a simple Paracetamo; Tablet

The numbness in arms is probably because of her incorrect position while sleeping, change her posture while sleeping and it should help

Yet a Tablet of B1+B6+B12 daily will help

Ear I do not find any issue, but keep a watch on the symptoms

All these can again be correlated to XXXXXXX but if this was negative recently there are chances the earlier positive was a false positive

On a safer side I would go for repeat test if the symptoms persist

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Wishing Your Daughter A Speedy Recovery

Follow-up: Fatigue, sleeplessness, acid reflux, muscle spasms, headaches. What are causing these symptoms? 7 hours later
Today she was near tears with body aches and pains throughout her entire body but more so on the left side of her body. I have four kids and have never witnessed such unusual symptoms. What might it reflect?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

I am sorry to learn about her situation

On a safer side try Tab Tramadazole for pain and take her to the hospital for evaluation

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Wishing Your Daughter A Speedy Recovery