Fatigue, constipation, lack of concentration, hair loss, dry skin, iron deficiency, taking autrim

My 20 year old daugher have a iron shortage and the supplement she been taking does not seem to help her myself and my mum have got the same problem and the only supplement working for us is autrim can I give It to here to see if she feels beter. She always tired, and can not consentrade and struggling with constipasion, hair loss dry skin ect.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 18 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I understand your health concern.

I can read that your daughter is having symptoms associated typically with anemia.

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Can you tell me when was the last time you checked her Hb levels?

Also, since she has been taking iron supplements from age of 12years, was a cause found out?

Autrin is a good medicine, you can give your daughter this.

Simply Iron tablets may help in folic acid deficiency - which would require that supplement too. Hence, complete blood tests are necessary for the diagnosis.

I would like you to get her investigated thoroughly with the help of your family doctor, and rule out simple causes once for all.

Meanwhile look into her diet, lots of greens, dates, apricots and dry fruits would do good. Vitamin E supplements for the hair. And increase in water intake, high fiber like bananas would take care of constipation for the long run.

Having said this, the most important would be to treat the cause of her anemia rather than symptomatic treatment which would be only temporary.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.