Fatigue, chest pain, hurts to breathe. Have stage one kidney disease. Should I get more labwork done?

HI. I am a 47 year old woman who had a bout of suspected food poisoning over the weekend. I was treated in the hospital ER with fluids, zofran and a narcotic for pain and released. I am still pretty fatigued, which is to be expected. I also have a slight pain in my upper chest, slightly to the left, almost in my back. It hurts a bit when I breath. I have no congestion, and other than the fatigue everything else is back to normal. I do have stage one kidney disease, with no high blood pressure or diabetes, and I do not take any medication for it (followed by a nephrologist, watchful waiting). Other than that I am in good health. Should I get more labwork done, or just give it a few more days? This took place Saturday night, so it has not been a week yet. I feel like the pain could be from vomiting. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Yes, If you had vomiting as a part of food poisoning the pain you have in the chest now could probably be due to the same.

The chest muscles specially the intercoastal muscles suffer sprain during vomiting and do present with sharp to dull pain over time and stay for some time without causing any serious complication.

Do apply pain killer gels like DICLOFENAC gel for sooner recovery.This would suffice.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.