Fatigue, brain fog, swollen lymph node behind ear. Vague joint aches and chills and a patch of facial hair on upper lip. Suggest the solution?

Question
Fatigue, brain fog, swollen lymph node behind my ear. Vague joint aches that come and go, chills, severely chapped lips with the swollen lymph node, this is the 6th time this year that my node has been swollen, always the same area. Lymph gland issues since November 2012, was sick 3 times within 6 weeks, not normal for me. Other symptoms above since May 2013. Also have thinning hair, I feel like I am coming down with a virus but it never turns into a full illness.Also have worsening pms, dry scalp and thinning hair and a patch of facial hair on my upper lip that has been an issue for almost 2 years now. All labs are normal so far: This week I have had the following tests, wiating for a few more testosterone is one of them, again all results so far are within normal ranges: coccicoides panel, fsh and lh, XXXXXXX screen W reflx to titer, EBV panel, CBC w/diff w/plt, comprehensive metabolic panel, Tsh, free t4, free t3, microsomal TPO-Ab, sedimentation rate, DHEA sulfate.. What is my next step if all comes back normal? Is this just my life now?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lymph node biopsy will help

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query with diligence. I did try to read the uploaded report. It is blurred to interpret.

Going by your symptoms, it seems like there is an on-going infection in you.

The swollen lymph node is a concern here. Was there a biopsy taken from the swollen lymph node? If not, then please consider getting one done. It may show a conclusive report.

Was your blood sugar tested? Have you lost weight recently? Let me know.

You would benefit from a course of oral antibiotics now. Please consider getting a prescription for the same. Empirical antibiotic treatment might help you now.

No, this is not just the life for you now. There is something wrong and that needs to be detected and managed accordingly.

Let me know when the results come back to guide you further.

I wish you quick recovery.

Take care and regards,

Follow-up: Fatigue, brain fog, swollen lymph node behind ear. Vague joint aches and chills and a patch of facial hair on upper lip. Suggest the solution? 41 minutes later
Thanks for your response. My lymph node has not been biopsied, MD didn't seem concerned about it because it keeps going down on it's own. I have also been having issueswith itchy inner ears and occasional fluid, MD feels this is all allergires and that is why my lymph node is irritated.....

The report was all the lab results so far, thanks for trying.

My blood sugar is 75

I have not lost weight, I gained weight after I got sick the 3 consecutive times in November- 15 pounds and I have been working hard to get it off without much luck.

I hope the cause is found, I am very relieved my labs are coming back normal. At the same time, I do not feel well at all and it is discouraging to not know the cause.

Thanks again for your help.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergy and Hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

If your symptoms are related to allergy, then it must be treated accordingly with anti-allergic medications and lifestyle changes.

Drugs like Montelukast are used widely to treat such conditions and are effective too. You may want to speak to your MD about the same.

In the long run, a lymph node biopsy would definitely help in ruling out your problem concerns.

If you are gaining weight unnecessarily and without eating much, then it is likely Hypothyroidism. I know that your current thyroid hormone test is normal. Please repeat your TSH, T3, and T4 tests in a few months again.

These are the two close conditions that are possible in you.

Take care and wish you good health.