Fatigue bouts, chronic condition. Blood tests ruled out epstein barr, lyme. Ways to improve immunity?

Question
Re our 19 year old son; 2nd year student at a US university. About 4-5 months ago, started complaining of “intermittent” fatigue; frequency once a day to once in two days. No correlation with time of day. Has gone through extensive tests (blood work) that have ruled out Epstein Barr Virus; Lyme; Gilbert; Celiac—the whole shebang. But the problem persists. He is being looked after by a Harvard-affiliated hospital’s doctors. Being a student, he can’t afford this luxury of intermittent fatigue bouts. QUESTION: Since these are intermittent fatigue bouts from which the body is able to recover, if medical science could zero-in on that process which leads the body to fight its way out of these “intermittent” fatigue bouts, then by strengthening that process, maybe he can get rid of this wretched ailment?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

From your description it seems that your son is suffering from a generalized viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms. Since he has already been examined by physicians, all the organic causes have been ruled out.

Building up of inner immunity of the body will help in fighting with this problem. These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks.

I would advise that you support his body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement his diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider giving him some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Fatigue bouts, chronic condition. Blood tests ruled out epstein barr, lyme. Ways to improve immunity? 58 minutes later
My question was (I repeat, here) QUESTION: Since these are intermittent fatigue bouts from which the body is able to recover, if medical science could zero-in on that process which leads the body to fight its way out of these “intermittent” fatigue bouts, then by strengthening that process, maybe he can get rid of this wretched ailment?

I am sorry, but this question has not been addressed, as yet.
Follow-up: Fatigue bouts, chronic condition. Blood tests ruled out epstein barr, lyme. Ways to improve immunity? 8 minutes later
Please also note that as I stated in my opening statement, he has been suffering from this ailment of intermittent fatigue for the past 4-5 months. So he is well past 4 to 6 week duration that you indicate. I think this will perhaps lead to a modified response.
Look forward to it. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

I apologize for not being able to clear your doubts initially.

Recurrent bouts of fatigue which recover spontaneously after some time are likely to be caused by mild fluid and electrolyte imbalances or metabolic conditions such as hypoglycemia. Based only on the history provided, it is difficult to exactly pin point the cause.

He can start taking rejuvenating fluids like the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes. He must have enough water to combat fluid deficiency. This might be able to recover his sooner from his bout of illness.
In addition, taking a light breakfast, preferably some lean protein and/or complex carbohydrate with a little healthy fat during the bouts of fatigue will be helpful in early recovery.

We can able to strengthen his recovery further and prevent such attacks upon finding the exact cause.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.