Fatigue, body pain, headaches, on medication for depression, taking lipitor, blood tests normal. Side effects of medication ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the last 3 weeks, I have lost energy, ache all over and have a headache. I am 59 and always active and all my blood tests came back fine. I am on medication for depression and lipitor, boniva and prempro.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later

Have you had headaches before using Prempro drug.

Is there any change in urine colour, any burning sensation on passing urine .

I have read and understood the problem you face. You need to be enlightened that the drugs you are taking can also cause these problems as side effects,

Lipitor is known notoriously to cause muscle pain all over the body in some patients and also weakness, muscle damage and consequences like kidney problem. Also the Boniva which is meant for reducing bone loss can also cause bone and joint pains. The Prempro used as Oestrogen which can aggravate a migraine headache.

Kindly specify which medicine you are on for depression. Could you kindly mention the Tests done and the respective reports as well.

You need to eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Eat diet XXXXXXX in calcium and proteins like cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day which helps keep fit and also reduces bone loss which can occur due to menopause. Do Yoga to help in stress relief. Keep active and busy to help tide over symptoms of anxiety and depression as well.

You will need to discuss the side effect profile of these drugs with your Doctor and get necessary dose adjustment or drug change as required. You can get Kidney function test, CPK levels, Routine blood tests including blood counts and haemoglobin, Urine routine tests as well. Blood clotting parameters testing may also be indicated. If you have history of migraine in your family it is necessary to avoid Hormone Replacement therapy with Oestrogen containing medication.

Kindly do reply to the above queries and reports of the tests done.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.