Fatigue. CBC report normal except eosinophil count. Suggestion?

Hi Doctor,

I have not been well and felt tired for past couple of days. I'm working in Manila and went to see a doctor in the area.
They have done complete blood count with platelet count and urinalysis. Everything looks normal except for the Eosinophils. It’s reading high at .05, where normal value supposed to be 0.00 to .04.

I'm very concerned about this. What does it mean?

Waiting for your reply

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

The levels of eosinophils is near normal and is not raised, hence there is nothing much to be concerned about. If you had any recent infection like sinus infection or cold or an allergy, the levels can rise a bit.

Constant tiredness and fatigue can be due to anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypothyroidism, disorders of the hypothalamus, psychiatric disorders like depression and sleep-related breathing disorders. At your age, your blood sugar levels also need to be evaluated as diabetes can often present with tiredness as initial symptom.

First of all get your hemoglobin levels done, a low hemoglobin can also make you feel very easily tired.

You can have iron XXXXXXX foods like liver, lean red meats, beans like kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils, iron fortified whole grains, XXXXXXX vegetables like spinach, tofu, broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, chicken, nuts, egg yolk and dry fruits.

You can also have iron supplements along with these foods after consulting your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to me. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Dr. Jasvinder Singh.
MD(Internal Medicine).