Father has diabetes. What measures can help to prevent diabetes?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi Doctor, I am concerned about diabetes. I want to know how can I avoid or delay it. I do not have diabetes, as of now. But my father has. I know his problems. My father got gray hair at the age of 50 but I am having 5/100 gray hair at this age. So I am concerned about other diseases. I am a non vegetarian. And I mostly eat veg. I do not eat sweets frequently. And I do about 4-5 hours/week of physical exercise. Please suggest me proper diet/lifestyle to deal with diabetes and precautions to be taken. Thanks,
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Healthy life style is the key to prevent diabetes. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Hi! gray hair though are hereditary to some extent but with changing lifestyle, they cannot be used to predict that you will have all the diseases that your father is suffering from. As far as diabetes is concerned, yes there is 7 % inheritance and 30 % probability of your having diabetes if one of the parents have it. you are a non vegetarian but you eat mostly veg, you are regular with physical exercise so you are almost there where you want be that is following a healthy life style. Now your risk of developing diabetes will depend upon your present body wight and height, your location i.e. your ethnicity, your Blood pressure. If you want your risk score please let me know these few things more. Regards!

Follow-up: Father has diabetes. What measures can help to prevent diabetes? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor, My height is 176cm and weight is 68kg. I am living in Bangalore and I work as software professional. Blood pressure is normal. I have never faced any problem with BP. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Low risk score Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Hi! thanks for all the information. your risk score as per american diabetes association is 2 i.e. low risk. However you have the risk of being in prediabetes range because of being male, Asian ethnicity and having positive family history. So keep doing your daily exercises and continue taking care of your diet. maintain this body weight. Regards!

Hi Doctor, Could you please suggest the diet and the things that I should avoid? Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Low carb , low cal, high protein diet. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, high protein diet, low carb, low cal, energy dense food is suggested. broadly avoid sweets, fried food , white flour (maida), soft drinks, juices, hard drinks, chocolate , ice cream, bakery products. eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and high fibre food.

Follow-up: Father has diabetes. What measures can help to prevent diabetes? 14 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr. Minali.

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 23 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome sir. Detailed Answer: you are always welcome, it was nice discussing things with you.