Fat pouch around genitals, weight loss. Do I need surgery?

Nephrologist
Question
I am 18 years old, I am 6'1 and weigh 320 pounds. I am overweight and I have a fat pouch around my genitals. My penis goes inside. I have been losing weight and I was wondering after I lose the weight will this go away or will I need to have surgery?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for the query

A fat pouch around your genitals could be a hernia which is very common in overweight people and also in body builders. If it is a hernia, then it will certainly not go away after you lose weight

To know whether it is hernia or fat, you could XXXXXXX a local physician for a quick examination.

In the mean time, I would request you to answer the following questions
•     Have you noticed any change in colour?
•     Have you noticed an increase in size and temperature?
•     Has there been any associated pain?
•     Does it increase when you cough and reduce when you lie down?

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fat pouch around genitals, weight loss. Do I need surgery? 6 hours later
It hasn't changed colors but its warmer than most parts of my body by a small amount. It doesn't hurt and it doesnt get bigger.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for reverting.

As you have mentioned, the pouch is warmer than the other parts, I recommend you to go to a general surgeon as soon as possible.

Usually a warmer part of a structure means that it is inflammed. In the mean time you could try the following.

1. Wear boxer shorts instead of tight briefs.
2. Apply cold packets over the area.
3. Watch for change of color and pain.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fat pouch around genitals, weight loss. Do I need surgery? 3 hours later
So is it a pretty good chance that it something more than just fat? If it was a hernia what would the procedure be to remove it? Would that also solve the problem with the inverted penis? Just say it wasn't a hernia would it be able to be solved if I lost weight?

Hello

Thanks for reverting

If it is a hernia then the procedure to remove it will be a simple hernial repair. They will not 'remove it', they will just neatly tuck the part that has herniated and suture it.
It is a simple procedure and if done by a good surgeon there will be no complications.
It is also likely to solve the problem of your penis going in after the hernial repair
Please XXXXXXX a general surgeon as soon as possible for the same

Wish you good health