Fat burner Oxy Elite Pro, Celexa, Lamictal, side effects. Safe to take ?

Hi Doc,
I am beginning to take Oxy Elite Pro which I bought at GNC and is a thermogenic fat burner. I am currently taking 40mg of Celexa and 200 mg of Lamictal daily. The bottle says to beware if you are taking SSRIs. Celexa is a known SSRI, and I am concerned. Can you please tell me if this is safe and if not, please explain to me what the side effects may be. I am only taking the minimum dosage right now which is 1 capsule in the morning on an empty stomach. I am hoping to jump start my weight loss by taking this supplement. My general practitioner is a family friend, and I am very hesitant to consult her. Please give me a professional opinion.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Oxy elite pro is a fat burner which has been advertised widely and its exact composition and ingredients have not been specified. It is known to contain few herbs and caffeine.

Similarly there are no rational drug trials available to test its efficacy, safety and interactions with other drugs.

One of its main component, caffeine can increases anxiety and produces cardiac side effects in patients of depression. So, it is not advisable for use in patients with psychiatric or cardiac problems.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Fat burner Oxy Elite Pro, Celexa, Lamictal, side effects. Safe to take ? 2 hours later
I am not understanding. You did not fully answer my question. I told you the two medications that I use, along with their dosage. I want to know if Oxy Elite Pro will interfere with the two medications that I am taking specifically the Celexa as it is an SSRI.

There are no drug trials you said, but in your professional opinion, as an MD, do you foresee a danger for me to take my prescriptions along with this supplement?

Please be more specific. I already did research via Wikipedia, the Oxy Elite Pro website, etc., and I was able to read about the caffeine contact and its ability to increase anxiety. I know this. I am looking for a more detailed response.

Please reply.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I would advise you to not to combine your present with oxy elite pro as it may interfere with your current SSRI's.

What kind of interference is unknown and not been documented yet. Why? I practice evidence based medicine. So I prefer to put my answer in this way.

The herbal combination for weight loss you are planning to take contains multiple active ingredients which show multiple effects when taken with usual drugs. These are not FDA approved drugs with a known efficacy and safety. These are marketed as health supplements.

The interactions and side effects of a substance is known only by controlled trials which have not been done on such products. There complete harmful effects on the body are not yet known and are difficult to predict.

The drugs citalopram and lamotrigene that you are taking for your problems may show drug interactions and cause a decrease in the therapeutic effect of the drugs you are taking.

Do feel free if you need more clarifications.

Sincerely hope it will help.