Fasting sugar 102 and post meal sugar 200. Prescribed with Istamet. Should I take the medication life long?

Hello Doctor, I have checked my Blood Sugar level this time & I found that my Fasting Sugar is 102 mg & Post meal sugar after two hours of meal is 200 mg. My Doctor has suggested me one month course of Istamet 50mg/500mg and advice me to take regular exercise which was totally absent from my life before the test. Now I have started regular exercise at early morning. Please suggest me that I should have to take medicine prescribed by my Doctor or the sugar level will decrease after regular exercising. It is my thinking that once I started with the medicine life long I have to continue it. My age at this time is 30.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Trial and error required; not true sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. First of all sir, Now coming to the medication and exercise. Diabetes is a condition which requires the perfect balance of medication, exercise and diet. In most cases, reaching this balance takes a lot of time, and trial. So, my advise would be to first initiate the medication and exercise for a few days (eg. 2 weeks), but regularly; and then recheck your blood glucose levels. If there is a good control, then that is great, re-check after 4 weeks again. But if the levels seem to have dropped to lower normal or below normal levels, then it is best to re-visit your doctor and either ask for a milder medication, or to discontinue the medication altogether. But, if you do discontinue the medication, then 7 days after discontinuing the medication and with regular exercise, check your blood sugar levels, and if it is normal, then you do not need medication again. All you need to do from there on, is to control with regular exercise and diet. It is also important not to immediately start with strenuous exercise, start with mild exercise (eg. 15- 30 minutes of walking) and then gradually move up from there, until you reach a level you are most comfortable with. All this while, you will have to keep checking your blood sugar levels. And, what you think is not true sir. If an individual learns to control his blood sugar levels with the perfect amount of exercise and the right diet, then they can discontinue any medication that was initiated earlier and not depend on medication ever again. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Wishing you nothing but the best in health. God bless.