Fasting for spiritual reasons, psychiatric medication. Juice or water diet possible ?

Hi there,
I am considering going on a fast for spiritual purposes, but I am wondering if it safe to do so as I am on psychiatric medication(venlafaxine and olanzapine). Will it be safe to do a 7 day water fast or juice fast if I am on this type of medication?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

If you are thinking of doing a liquids only fast for seven days I presume that you are not thinking of discontinuing the medicines you are taking. If you discontinue the medicines for seven days at a stretch, their therapeutic effect will be grossly reduced and your symptoms might return by the time you finish your fasting.

Regarding remaining on liquid only diet it depends on your body if your body can handle such a stress. If you proceed with fasting be sure to take loads of fluids and plenty of energy drinks for your survival.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.