Fasting blood sample reported normal levels of T3 and T4, but TSH is high. Does it imply any thyroid issue?

Question
Hi, In my last health check up 3 days back, my fasting blood sample reported normal levels of T3 and T4, but TSH is around 8.2 (beyond normal range). Does it clearly imply Thyroid issues? or Do I take another test with a different lab to confirm?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Your thyroid report is suggestive of subclinical hypothyroidism a mild form of hypothyroidism. Its better to reconfirm TSH value from a second more reliable lab. If result is confirmed you may require lifelong thyroxine replacement. You should also get Anti TPO antibody test along with TSH. High titers of anti TPO make a stronger case for thyroxine replacement.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad