Fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels are high. Am I having type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Dear Sir,

This is XXXX and recently i have checked my sugar levels. I found out that Random is 151 and PP is 234. This is the first time i am checking my sugar levels. I want to know that i am a Type 1 or Type 2 and i hope my sugar levels are bit higher side.So, could you please guide me how i can proceed. I mean, can i control this and i have to take life time medication for this.

Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Type 2 Diabetes mostly.

Detailed Answer:

Fasting blood sugar more than 126 mg/dl and Postprandial blood sugar more than 200 mg/dl is overt diabetes.

Considering your age it is mostly Type II diabetes.

You can try lifestyle modification like exercise for 45 mins a day and diet with low carbohydrate and low fat and increase fiber with vegetable, greens and fruit for 3 months.

If the blood sugar returns back to normal and maintaining well there on then the medicine can be started little later in life.

If the blood sugar is not getting controlled to the lifestyle measure then oral hypoglycemic drugs like metformin and glimepiride should be started.

Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have any further clarifications.