Fast heart rate while playing hockey. Required treatment?

Cardiologist, Interventional
My son play hockey the last two days
Said to me that his heart at times it pumps Very fast in then one quirk sake
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 20 hours later
Dear sir,

Thanks for query.

I don't think I have fully understood what's your concern. But, it is normal for children to have some VPCs (Ventricular Premature Complexes) after exercise and playing, which will be perceived as fast heart beat. If no other symptoms, then it may not be of concern. Please get back to me with further details, so that I can give a detailed advice.

Follow-up: Fast heart rate while playing hockey. Required treatment? 2 hours later
It's happens 3to4 times a day even just
Setting at school and some times after
Is in bed .
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 41 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

In that case, you need to have an ECG and echocardiogram done. If they show any abnormality, further evaluation and treatment will be guided by it. If there are no abnormality and treating Pediatrician or GP feels there are any systemic diseases such as thyroid problems, anaemia ( low blood) etc, he would need further work. If no such issues, then you can ignore the whole thing.