Fasicular tachycardia,long voyage.Safe?

Cardiologist, Interventional
i have had fasicular tachycardia for 7years which is a form of s v t , i've had no episodes for at least 4 years its my 40th birthday this weekend and my husband has planed a holiday to lanzarote (4hr flight) will i be ok to fly ?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 22 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Fascicular tachycardia is actually a type of ventricular tachycardia. It is rare and not usually associated with structural heart disease. Approximately 90% of the fascicular tachycardias are of the left posterior fascicular type. The occurrence in younger individuals, absence of structural heart disease, relatively narrow QRS complex during the arrhythmia and sensitivity to verapamil often lead to a mistaken diagnosis of SVT.

"The fact that your arrhythmia is well controlled on medication and that you have not experienced an episode in 4 years indicate that it is relatively ok for you to fly".

The best treatment for this type of arrhythmia is catheter based "Radio-Frequency Ablation" wherein a precise dose of radiofrequency energy is applied by means of a catheter at a specific location inside the heart. This results in a complete cure in most of the cases. After the procedure there is usually no need for long-term drugs. I would advise you to explore this possibility for long term treatment, rather than rely on drugs which need to be taken daily and can have side effects in the long run.

I hope this answers your query. If you need any further clarifications, feel free to contact me again.

I wish you a very Happy 40th Birthday in advance.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma