Farting starts when getting nervous. Taking proper diet and medications. What treatment should be done?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Can't stop farting. When I get nervous, farting starts all the time, during class, lecture, lab, in front of and surrounded ppl. I'm a university student so that this disease ruin my life. And I always really worry about farting because ppl lagh and blame me, but I cannot control it. Since I have this disease, I'm trying to eat healthy food, taking madication(simethicone and dicyclomine) and gonig bath room. Of course, I just avoid drinking alcohol and wheat. But nothing work for me. Please please help me.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

Flatulence as we call farting in medical language usually occurs with undigested material in the large intestine

Here are a few tips that will help :

Add a probiotic to your daily routine
Avoid fatty and fried meals
Cut down offenders like dairy products, apples, pears, wholegrain foods, soft drinks and fruit drinks - Try and identify the one that affects you
Manage your stress levels as increased stress levels will precipitate the same
If need be go for a stool culture and take antibiotic according to the sensitivity report

Hope this helps
Do write back in case you need any clarification
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Farting starts when getting nervous. Taking proper diet and medications. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Ajit,

I appreciate your suggestions. And actually I've been trying many things that you advised me. Since I have a lot of flatulence, it passed over 6 months. But my flatulence have gotten worse. Still I cannot figure out my triggers. So I always pay attention for my diet. And I'm freaking out repeating tragedy everyday. My fear for flatulence makes new stress; then, farting starts and never stop. So what can I decrease my stress level? I usally ride a bicycle for 40 mins to school and work around for 10 mins. Do you have some effective ways?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later
It is really sad that the trial and error for trigger has not worked for you
Yet I would suggest you continue taking care of your diet

In the mean time get your stool examined specifically for fat globules, Giardiasis and Cysts

Regarding stress it is a vicious cycle
Farting increases stress which in turn increases digestive disorders
Meditation is the best remedy to manage stress along with reassurance

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a speedy recovery