Farting, fresh blood in stools, blood clots, on saline, wants to do colonoscopy, history of hemorrhoids and constipation. Treatment ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Two days ago I was in bed. Felt like I wanted to fart. Did so then thought I had phooed myself as I was then all wet but no it was fresh blood and clots. The clots were enormous and all fresh blood.
Every 20 minutes for the next 3 hours I felt an urge to go to the toilet and more clots and blood just kept coming. No bleeding in between these and I had no pain at all. I did go to Emergency department but all had then settled down. I had 4 Liters of Saline and low BP and Haemo levels were then low.
After looking Surgeon said problem was was high up and perhaps Diviticulitis.
I do suffer from constipation and really only go to toilet twice a week.
It must have been at least 1 Litre of blood that came out at least 200 ml at a time. I captured some of them in a bag to check. Where did it all come from and all those clots. One clot was 6 " long and 1" wide. Unbelievable and impressive. Lucky I was not squeamish but I had to keep looking as I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I am booked for a colonoscopy in 6 weeks. Had one a year ago which showed nothing. Did have XXXXXXX hemorrhoids banded 3 weeks ago but this was not where there was any issue.
Why did it just occur? Will it occur agin?? Could it be anything else?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 2 hours later

I understand that you had a fairly large bleed from your colon with fall in blood pressure and hemoglobin. This is a bit concerning and needs medical attention.

There are many causes for the same. Firstly cancer is a very unlikely cause as colon or rectal cancers do not bleed profusely with clots and all. Large bleeds are by and large from benign pathology only.

Diverticulosis is a good possibility as this condition can cause severe bleeding especially if it is in the right side of colon. Most time it is self limiting but can also recur. Angiodysplasia or an altered blood vessel pattern in the colon can also cause a bleed like this. Polyps in the colon can also bleed similarly with clots. I will not be surprised if the XXXXXXX hemorrhoids are a cause for this.

Anyway a full length colonoscopy after a good bowel preparation is mandatory which may pinpoint the cause. And it is ideal to perform this test either during the bleeding episode or soon after.

I encourage you to get the colonoscopy done. Further line of treatment can be decided based on the report.

Hope my answer is adequate and helpful to you.