Family history of heart disease and overweight. What are the risks of getting heart disease?

I have a prolaspe value that I have had all my life. It seems to be effecting my medical coverage. My father died of a heart attack at 56, he smoked , drank for years and was overweight. I am in great health, lean, run , exercise, take vitamins and look younger than my age of 59. What are my risk?Is this condition reversable?
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in:
I am a cardiologist and read your mail with diligence.

At any age following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying. From your description I find history of smoking (if you have quit for more than a year you can count as non smoker). I presume you have Heart Disease, to me without you substantiate by further query no other risk factor exist in you.

Obesity and Sedentary Life Style

High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component

Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%

LDL above 130 mg%

VLDL above 40 mg%

Triglycerides above 150 mg%

Apolipoprotein B above reference value

Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component

Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab

HDL below 40 mg% for men and 50 mg% for women

Folic Acid Deficiency in Elderly

Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease

Increasing age

Being a Man (as opposed to women till the age of 45)

So, eat balanced diet, maintain ideal body weight do exercise regularly ( a brisk walk at the speed of 5 KM per hour for forty minutes a day will keep you and your heart healthy.
If you have further question which is causing worry please ask, I will be happy to answer. Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover