Family history of heart disease. What's my life expectancy assuming I receive and ICD?

Cardiologist
Question
I am a 50-year old male, non-smoker, with a long family history of heart disease due to high cholesterol and triglycerides. I run 15-25 miles/week, take Liptor, Trilipix, Niaspan, etc. and have never had a heart attack. A recent bi-annual nuclear stress test, and subsequent MRI, revealed LVEF of 34; two years ago it was 57.

What's my (average) life expectancy assuming I receive and ICD?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist and routinely put ICDs. I read your mail wit diligence.
You have written name of 3 drugs all are for high lipids.
Then you have written about family history of heart attakcs.
Finally, you mentioned EF by radionuclide studies and MRI.

You have not mentioned what symptoms you have? Are these symptoms of Congestive heart failure and you are being advised ICD for EF being lower than 35. Or do you get angina, or your EKG and/or has suggested Coronary Artery Disease. I will not suggest going ahead without coronary angiogrphy first. Even, if you are survivor of sudden cardiac arrest.

Please write more details.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Family history of heart disease. What's my life expectancy assuming I receive and ICD? 12 minutes later
No symptoms. My regular bi-annual nuclear stress test, and subsequent MRI, revealed LVEF of 34; two years ago it was 57.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX

That brings the original question what is the indication to put in ICD.
You run 15-25 miles at least in a week and you are asymptomatic is contradictory to the fact tat your ejection fraction is less than 35%.
What is the opinion of your cardiologist why he wants to put ICD? If I were in your place I would ask for a second opinion from an electophysiologist/cardiologist before making up my mind. I am not sure how to answer life expectancy question in normal or near normal person (cardiovascular system wise). ICD can prevent you from arrhythmia for which, so far, you have given no proof you have propensity for or risk of because of underlying condition. I am sorry, but your EF value is becomes doubtful by your lack of symptoms and an excellent effort tolerance. Looking forward to your answer.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW