Family history of diabetes, cholesterol and chronic sinusitis. Suggest some diet plans

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hello I am XXXXXX from XXXXXXX - referred by Dr. XXXXXXX Wanted your suggestion on my Diet plan.

My Current Diet Plan -
Morning walk for 1hr supplemented with exercise.
Morning - Chapati - 3 - at 10:00pm
Afternoon - very small serving of rice less than 100gm + vegetable + salad + buttermilk+ any sweet or fruit.
Non - veg twice in a week prefer to eat mutton to chicken and fish because of excessive of body eat, The resultant will be diarrhea and stomach pain.

Evening - 1/2 tea with XXXXXXX biscuit.

Night - either 100gm rice/ragi ball/ fruits.

Family History -
Mother - Age 46 - Diabetic , BP , cholesterol, (at he age of 27 was detected diabetics)
Surgery - Gallbladder removed, appendicitis, an extra growth removed from her breast.
Father - Age 60 - Chronic Sinusitis.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Weight
Answered by Grace Abraham 6 hours later

In order to reduce weight, it is necessary for diet modifications and lifestyle changes.The diet should be high in fiber, which includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXXX foods and low in fat. Initially you can have a target of losing half kilo in a week, which will aid in reducing 2 kg in a month. Gradual reduction of weight will help not to regain the lost weight.
According to your height and weight , his Body Mass Index (BMI) is 33.5 kg/m ,which is considered as Grade I Obesity, where as the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m. Ideal body weight for your height should be from 53 kg to 58 kg.
Try to have a healthy breakfast to start the day. I would suggest you to have cerels like corn flakes or XXXXXXX with skimmed milk along with a low calorie fruit on all weekdays, and have roti in week ends. Early breakfast is more preferred, by 8.30am, since there will not be any chance of you over eating.
Around 10 am, try to have XXXXXXX tea without sugar as a mid-morning snack along with some hi-fiber biscuits XXXXXXX tea helps in fat not being stored in the body and also aids in weight loss.
Lunch - Pulkas - 3 no's or Pulkas- 2 no's with Rice - 1 Katori can be taken along with dhal, vegetables and skimmed buttermilk, include some salads also.
For evening - you can have a fruit.(only low calorie fruit should be taken like XXXXXXX pear, papaya, grapes, guava, orange, musambi etc) or boiled corn or sprouts chat or wheat bread sandwich - 2 slices or Low fat fruit flavoured yogurt.
Dinner- to be taken as early as possible , before 8 pm - take very light dinner like two pulkas with vegetable and salad.
Post Dinner- any fruit or a glass of skimmed milk / buttermilk without sugar can be taken.
Include atleast one fruit and a bowl of salad everyday to increase the fiber in the diet.

Along with diet modifications, a minimun 45-60 minutes brisk walk or physical activity of moderate intensity which improves overall health. Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down'periods, before and after the exercise regimen. Forty-five minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity provide many health benefits.

Hope i answered your query.

Grace Abraham

Follow-up: Family history of diabetes, cholesterol and chronic sinusitis. Suggest some diet plans 13 hours later
Thank you for your prompt, will follow this diet on regular basis.
* Eating 1 katori rice is ok in a day?
* How about non-veg what would you recommend me to eat and how?
* Also does normal yoga help as i suffer from sever knee and ankle pain.

Thank you.
Answered by Grace Abraham 23 hours later

Here are the answers of your query,
1.You can a katori of rice daily, but have it only during the day and only one time. Generally avoid rice in the night, since it is a simple carbohydrate and can be easily converted to fat in the body and adds up calories.
2.Non- veg like fish or chicken can be taken twice in a week, egg white can be thrice in a week.Generally avoid red meats.
3.Yoga can be effective, but consult your orthopedic doctor before doing any vigorous activity, so that you should not harm yourself. The best form of exercise for your case, can be daily walking for 45 minutes for 6 days in a week.

Grace Abraham