Family history of constipation, now have soft stools, frequent acidity, blood in stool, taking milk of magnesia. Symptoms of which disease?

Hey I am 28 yrs old Asian guy, My weight is 143 lb and height is 5 7'. Actully i am having constipation as in Heredity, my dad having the same problem, like i have to go 2-3 time per day to clean my stomach, but since last 2 months ,my stool is always soft though not diarrhea , and having frequent Acidity , and some time blood also comes in Stool.
I thought its Pills, so one of my friend told me to take, stool softener (Milk of magnesia) so i tried that too, it will clear my stomach with 4-5 Bowl movements. but after 2-3 days i have to face same problem like soft stool, heartburn and irregular BM.
Is it any symptoms of particular disease or something else. And FYI my weight is also constant though i workout lot, eat healthy foods and all, since last year My weight increased only 3 lb.
Kindly Help , Thanks in Advance.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Frequent straining to pass stool might cause mild bleeding.Having a bowel movement 2-3 times daily does not indicate any pathology. Taking laxatives sometimes causes a feeling of incomplete evacuation.
The heart burn that you are having is likely to be due to chronic gastritis and may add to the feeling of being constipated.
I recommend you go to the pharmacy to obtain omeprazole 20 mg tablets.
You should take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner for 7 days. After 7 days you should take one with breakfast only for 21 more days. This should promote healing and resolution of your symptoms.

Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking.Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Family history of constipation, now have soft stools, frequent acidity, blood in stool, taking milk of magnesia. Symptoms of which disease? 26 hours later

Thanks for replying Dr. XXXXXXX

I bought omeprazole 20 mg tablets, and started by today itself.
And usually i eat chicken and eggs. Should i stop eating that ?

In addition to this, i also wanted to know that, Is it directly or indirectly put any affect on my weight , because previously i also tried product of (whey protein) but did not gain weight, Because when i took dose of it, within that night i have to face gastric problem.
so, could you please suggest any medication or protein powder that will gain weight and also easy to digest.(what should i keep in mind during purchase of powder ?)

And if i need to start any of above weight gainer, then when should i start, after completing Omeprazole tablets course or Should I start inbetween ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
While taking omeprazole tablets, youy need not stop taking chicken or eggs as long as these are not fried or spicy.
It is also not likely to affect your weight.
The weight gaining diet should include high protein foods, high carbohydrate foods and healthy fats. Taking protein drinks is not of much help.

Following are some tips to follow to gain weight. You will take some time to gain the weight you need, but be patient.
1)Start your day with a healthy breakfast comprising a glass of milk and a banana or a banana milkshake.
2)Have frequent small meals every three hours in a day and divide them into six small meals comprising of proteins in one meal as pulses,cereals,beans,legumes, etc.
3)Have energy dense foods as dry fruits, nuts, seeds when you snack.
4)If you take non veg have fish,chicken with dal rice thrice in a week.
5)Avoid junk food intake as it has empty calories.
6)Make an exercise plan and do some form of muscle building exercises. It will be best if you do under guidance of a trainer so that he can analyze and observe for changes. Exercises like squats, chin-ups and bench press help in weight gain.
7)Avoid smoking, alcohol if you are using them regularly. 8)Drink lots of water.

You can consult a nutritionist who can guide you according to your cuisines and then keep tracking for changes. There is no substitute of eating a healthy diet for gaining weight.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.