Family having typical moles. Using sun protective clothing. Is it better to protect the child's skin and supplement with vitamin D?

Is it better to protect a child's skin and supplement with vitamin D? Some in my family have atypical moles and i have had pre skin cancers so I've opted to use sun protective clothing and hats on my 3 year old and give 1,200 iu vitamin D daily. I want to optimize my children's health.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Early morning sun is safe.Go for diet suppliments.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Family history of moles and other precancerous lesions can lead to sun related skin disorders in children.

On the other hand sun light is essential for children.

It induces D3 leading to bone and other devolopment in children.

Sun light is harmful only when it has maximum number of ultravoilet rays (between 11 to 4 pm).

Avoiding this time is one of the best option to avoid skin damage.

Early morning rays has maximum vitamin D3and it is best time for sun exposure.I will advise you to keep your child in early morning for sun exposure.

Sunscreens can hamper vitamin D and do not try any sunscreens for your child.Physical protection is best way .

Vitamin D requires calcium for it absorption and calcium has important role in vitamin d metabolism.I will advise you to give him foods XXXXXXX in calcium like milk and dairy products.

Vitamin D is available in sachets as cholecalciferol granules.It has to be given with milk and once in a week.

In my opinion this will be better option rather than giving vitamin D daily.

I hope this will solve your problem.In case you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Family having typical moles. Using sun protective clothing. Is it better to protect the child's skin and supplement with vitamin D? 9 minutes later
Hello. He plays at per school from 8:30 - 9 and 11:00 - 11-45. He wears sun protective clothing and sunumbra kids on face and hands.

It supposedly blocks UVA and allows UVB for vitamin D production. I give 1,200 iu daily in an olive oil based drop. We don't do much dairy as my son has been refusing it lately. Milk substitute is quinoa/rice. I will start him on daily yogurt again if he will eat it.

What are other good calcium sources? My TCM doctor said that dairy actually blocks calcium absorption.
Also, his quinoa rice milk has 30% daily calcium in 8 oz. He has 8 oz per day and sometimes ice cream.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
orange juice,fish,egg yolk will help.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

The diet and sun protection plan which you are following is good .Continue with it.

Yogurt is a good source for calcium and you can start it.

Other sources for calcium is orange juice,custard XXXXXXX .

Fish,egg yolk contain both calcium and vitamin D.

Milk does not hamper with calcium absorption and you need not to worry much about it.

Hope this will help you.Take care.