Falling asleep due to coronary artery disease. Should I be alarmed?

Nov 2013

I am 53yrs old . In the last few months I have been having spells of just almost falling a sleep out of no where. I have cad and pad (2010 steint in heart and by-pass on right leg for blockage) .In the last few months I have been having spells where out of nowhere I almost fall a sleep. I have had my thyroid check (ok) . I have taken my blood pressure during these times which can last off and on for several hours. One arm will be 8-10 points lower (top&bottom) than the other. Current G.P. doesn't seem alarmed . Cardio Dr. retired haven't found a new one yet. What kid of Doctor should I see?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should see a neurologist or a sleep disorder Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. You should consult a neurologist or a sleep disorder expert for confirmation of diagnosis and initiation of treatment. The most likely diagnosis in your case could be narcolepsy. In this condition, there is excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden attacks of falling asleep at anytime during the day. A polysomnography (PSG or sleep study) along with MSLT (multiple sleep latency time) would be required to confirm the diagnosis. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: