Fallen on metal gate, hurt breast and hand. Breast looks blue and feels numb. Having pain. What should I do?

Mar 2013
I had an accident on the horse 2 days ago. I had fallen on metal gate, hitting my hand and chest- particularly left breast. I went to emergency, they made an x XXXXXXX nothing broken, stitches in my hand but nobody checked my breast. It is all blue and some parts are numb. It looks horrible and feels very painful. All my chest hurts, my whole left breast looks navy blue, even the nipple. I am worried. What should I do about it?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breast hematoma - Action detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.

I have gone through the picture you attached. The pictures seems to be representing a bruised area (hematoma) in the breast due to trauma. It is quite common following trauma, and would go away on its own, but it needs palpation to know if there is any deep underlying blood collection.

Well, in most instance this bruise will heal with time. You should ice packs to the area and take OTC pain killer (not aspirin) to take care of the pain. Typically give it 4-5 days to resolve. If you do not feel better in the next 3-5 days, you will need to visit your doctor to evaluate for underlying deep collection of blood. Unresolved collection might sometime lead to infection and rarely long standing breast lumps. Therefore if you do not feel better in the next 3-5 days, do not forget to go back to the doctor.

However if the pain is now extremely severe, you could consider visiting the ER and get it checked right away.

In brief, you should consider seeing a doctor, if it is hurting a lot or if it doesn't improve in the next 3-5 days.

Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions.

Follow-up: Fallen on metal gate, hurt breast and hand. Breast looks blue and feels numb. Having pain. What should I do? 47 minutes later
Thank you,
I will give it few more days.
Have a good day!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Get well soon!