Fallen from ladder, bruise on thigh, soft and burning bump

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i was on an extension ladder last week and the feet were not secure and the ladder slip backwards off the roof which was about8 feet off the groung landing on the driveway and i was on the ladder when it landed on the driveway i was on top of it when it landed on the driveway i did not fall off the ladder i was still on the ladder and affter the fall i had a bruise on my thigh and a bump i figure swelling from the mussle well the bruise is going away but the bump is still there it is soft and it burns if i bump it
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury due to the fall. Usually there is a mild collection of blood inside the tissue giving rise to the soft lump you are feeling.
The first line treatment involves a cold compress and a mild pain killer like acetaminophen in case it is painful. Avoiding weight bearing and keeping the limb elevated on two pillows while resting will be helpful. Most of the times, it resolves spontaneously in 2-3 weeks.
In case there is an increase in swelling or severe pain with raise in temperature then medical attention is needed for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.