Fall on the knee, iced bruise, cant put pressure on leg, back of knee swollen, shin bruised. Treatment ?

Question
Age: 23 5'10 150
Q: I was playing basketball a week ago and I got tangled up and took a knee to the back of my knee. I fell to the floor in pain, but picked myself up and tried to walk it off. I iced it and the next day I could barely put any pressure on my leg. The back of my knee was swollen and my calve and XXXXXXX was tight and bruised. Its been about a week and it has gotten a little bit better but still bruised. Can u help explain?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

From your description it seems that you might have got your knee joint ligament injured. Since even after one week of injury the swelling is present and you are not able to bear your body weight on the joint it means that the injury to the joint is serious and needs attention.

First of all an X-ray of the knee joint is needed to rule out any bony injury. For diagnosing the soft tissue or ligament injuries, MRI is the best non-invasive procedure. Otherwise arthroscopy helps both in diagnosis and in treatment to repair the ligament tear if it is present.

Knee joint swelling is most likely due to accumulation of blood in the joint cavity after injury which needs to be drained by an orthopaedician. The stiffness of calf muscles may be secondary to the haemarthrosis of knee or may be primarily a result of direct injury to that area.

You can use a compression bandage on your knee joint and avoid weight bearing on the joint till you consult your orthopaedician for treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.