Fall on back, lower back pain, x-ray, no broken bones

I fell on by back 4days ago and left side of my butt is still numb with pain on movement on the lower back. Took x-rays but bones are OK. Should I get any furthur treatments?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will try to provide you with some helpful information and recommendations regarding what is going on. I assume when you fell you suffered trauma in a sense of your low back and or buttocks striking the ground or at least some kind of hard object. It is reassuring that the xrays were negative for any evidence of fracture or dislocation of bones in the back or hip.

Now, injuries such as this often take 3 to 6 weeks before complete resolution of any lingering inflammation and associated pain, discomfort, or even numbness. I suggest you start or continue an aggressive regimen of anti-inflammatory treatment to include 600 to 800 mg of ibuprofen taken 3 times daily with food. An alternative would be naprosyn 500 mg twice daily. I eould do this for at least 7 days.

In addition, I recommend you do some range of motion exercises with your back to maintain good mobility and hasten the healing process. You might try adding some heat therapy - a pad or warm soaks in a tub to promote mobilization of any inflammatory fluids which gather around sites of injury.

Here is a link which provides helpful background information and exercise recommendations.

I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Fall on back, lower back pain, x-ray, no broken bones 1 hour later
Thanks for your kind explanation and recommendations for me. But what do you think about taking MRI or visiting accupunture clinics? Would that be help for more precise diagnostics and expediating healing process?
My left side butt is still numb and how long do I have to wait to get back to normal like the other side?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
I think it would be premature to jump to an MRI - a test which costs several thousand dollars to complete and interpret. Accupuncture on the other hand would be reasonable to consider as the practitioner may have some recommendations on how to help your body restore homeostasis and may assist in the healing process.

I think at least one more week should be given before pursuing diagnostic imaging such as an MRI. The numbness will take 10 to 14 days to return back to a state of normalcy.

I thank you for your followup and hope I was able to provide helpful information for you as you continue to heal and enjoy optimal health.

Dr. Galamaga