Fall causing knee swelling. Could this be hematoma?

Hello, I am almost 71 years young and had a terrible fall off a curb this afternoon. My knee was pretty skinned up but I was more concerned with my hip and ribs. I got home with help and took some ibuprofen. I put aloe on my skinned knee to stop the burning. A couple hours later, my knee swelled up like a balloon. I've had ice on it off and on for the last 3 hours. Is it a hematoma and the body will absorb it over time? Suggestions please? Thank you!
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is worth noting that one of the most delicate and complex joints of the body is the knee joint. The present clinical presentation of your knee with swelling and pain like a balloon deserves certainly urgent and keen attention.

Common knee lesions that present as such are rupture of the ligaments (anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments), fractures of the menisci or of the neighboring articulating bones (femoral base or tibial plateau). Thus it may or may not be a hematoma.

A clinical evaluation is very important, especially, because when done later, it could be more painful. Depending on the initial results of the X rays and MRIs , which of course are necessary, a management plan could then be decided upon.

For now, I suggest you continue with the Ibuprofen, Ice parks, and immobilize the knee, avoid movements of this knee, until you receive an urgent consultation form your orthopedic surgeon. It s urgent to get this consultation done.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.