Fainting with upset stomach and loose bowel movement. Anxiety?

I start to feel faint, never faint all the way. Then upset stomach and one loose bowel movement. And I get really hot. after I use the bathroom it all goes away. Sometimes it hits me in the middle of the night and wakes me up then usually lasts most of the next day. I am 59 and weigh 140 # and this has been going on off and on for 3 years. My Dr says anxiety but this last bout happened when I'm home on vacation doing what I love. It woke me up again last night and it's 6 pm and still happening intermittently.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
1) Anxiety,2) neurological cause

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Although most of your symptoms appear to be related to your abdomen, the routine abdominal causes may not be responsible for these kind of manifestations.

Anxiety, which you may not agree, is still the first differential diagnosis in your case. Anxiety is not very much state dependent. In other words, an anxious person may not become completely alright on a 7 day vacation. It is not always determined by the external surroundings,but it is biological and something to do with the levels of neurotransmitters in your brain.
You should consider this diagnosis seriously and give anxiety treatment a try. You need to be on some mild drugs of SSRI class for around 10 months along with some CBT sessions. This is what I prefer as treatment in my patients.

The other possibility is that the illness being neurological, especially seizure disorder. Seizures are of different types, and the seizure arising from the area of the brain which controls your bowel movement my arise to this kind of symptoms. The best way would be to get an EEG done. I have seen many patient of seizure disorder who have only abdominal complains. It's called as abdominal epilepsy.

I suggest you to consider both the possibilities with seriousness. Discuss your complaints with your doctor and urge for neurologist and psychiatrist referral.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.