Fainting episodes while urination at night. Why?

Why do I feel like I will faint while I'm peeing at nights
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think you might be suffering from Micturition syncope. It is fainting during or more commonly immediately after urination. It usually occurs at night after a XXXXXXX sleep. But it is usually common in older men.

The exact cause is not known, but it is due to vasodilatation while getting up from bed and standing in the toilet and also due to the rapid emptying of bladder resulting in a sudden drop in blood pressure. This results in fainting.

Other factors that may add up are alcohol, hunger, fatigue, dehydration, medical conditions, such as a respiratory infection, use of alpha blockers to improve urination in men with prostate problems.

Treatment depends on recognizing the factors that contribute and avoiding them. Apart from this is to sit while urinating, sit on the edge of the bed for a while before getting up and going to the toilet, avoid micturition while sleepy, go for micturition before sleep, and avoid excessive drinking of alcohol.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.