Fainted while working out, headache. Normal CT scan. Is it normal to get a headache after passing out?

I fainted last Wednesday while working out and had a CT scan done that came back normal, but I have had a headache ever since I passed out. What might be causing this?
Is it normal to get a headache after passing out? I was told I did not hit my head when I blacked out.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 hours later

It looks like you had a probable syncope and lost your consciousness. Headache after loss of consciousness can be due to various reasons. Possibilities include
•     Trivial injuries to head after the fall
•     Migraine
•     Injury to intracranial structures.

I personally feel it could be mostly due to the after effects of fall. A CT scan rules out injury to head and brain. If you have any recurring headaches in the past, the possibility of migraine needs exclusion.
I advise you to get started on pain killers for 3-5 days. You can take tablet aspirin 325 mg 6 hourly with food.
If the headache persists, I suggest you to schedule a visit with your doctor for a good physical exam and consultation. This will help give you the reassurance you need regarding your headaches.

I thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist