Fainted. Landed on knees and elbow. Knee swollen and painful to touch. Developed stiff neck and constant headache. What to do?

I am a 63 year old female. 3 weeks ago I fainted without any warning after getting up from bed. I went totally out. It seems that I landed first on my knees and right elbow, then hit my forehead and chin. My husband found me on the hardwood floor.
I was banged up badly, but didn't feel I bedded to see a doctor.

My knees were the worst.problem--they swelled up and looked like purple cabbages, and were. very painful to the touch . Walking was extremely difficult.

After ten days my symptoms worsened. I developed a stuff neck and a constant severe headache. When I put any pressure on my Knees at all, the bruises returned to dark purple to green and blue, and--for the first time since my fall-- my shins became black and blue almost down to my ankles. I saw my doctor at this point and she ordered a CT scan which was negative. While visibly taken aback by all my bruises, she did not think anything was broken.

During the following week I rested and the bruises on my knees and shins faded again. However, tonight. I put pressure on my right knee when getting up.from the floor. Virtually immediately the deep. Purple bruises returned to my knee and spread down the front of my XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 39 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The CT brain is normal so there should not be a long term problem in brain now. Severe bruises at knee will take full one month time to go. The color changes are the usual course of resolving the bruises.
You should also get xray of b/l knees to make sure you do not have fractures.
Plain observation may not be a good guide, keep a photo graph or XXXXXXX the bruise with a marker to compare if it's spreading which is very unlikely. The resolving dark/yellow cold may spread but the red color and pain should not in resolving bruise.
The cause of the fainting is probably a postal change followed by a drastic fall in BP. To avoid this elderly should remain well hydrated and should sit in bed first for about one full minute with legs down the bed before standing to give the body time to adjust so to avoid a precipitous fall in BP.

I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!