Faint, dizziness, high body temperature, fast heart beat. Anxiety or inner ear infection?

Jun 2015

about 1 month ago, i had an episode where i nearly fainted while out running. i'd been drinking the night before and thus it was likely heat exhaustion. the time was 2pm and i'd be out running in 90 degree heat.

2 weeks later, i was at work and suddenly got very dizzy in the morning. i'd been out drinking the night before but not heavily. even waking up that morning i felt out of sorts, with balance issues / fatigue. the doctors ran blood tests, ekg and echo -- said all looked pristine and nothing wrong with my heart.

3 weeks have gone by, and i still feel out of sorts. its seems at times im a bit off balance / dis oriented especially while out walking. yday i even started to gag as i was walking to the store. no puke just dry heave.

this said, it comes and goes as i've been able to workout and play golf while feeling mostly normal. i seem to be more sensitive to sharp movements of my head when looking around, particularly while at the supermarket. although while golfing i didnt even notice it. again this has been ongoing for a few weeks.

also, ive felt 2 different times while on my couch when my heart started to race, and i attributed it to anxiety as shortly after it slowed back to normal.

i monitor my blood pressure at home, and although slightly elevated during the day it will read 125 - 130 / 75 - 80 in evening and at night. hbpm is anywhere from 55 - 65 while at rest.

i work out often and watch my diet.

is this an inner ear infection?? what else would cause this?? why is it lingering?? i had none of these symptoms til after the running incident. have not been sick for months.

thank you,

Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 44 minutes later

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be due to:
1. Any pathology in the vestibular apparatus in inner ear (it is associated with maintenance of body posture & balance) & Cerebello-pontine angle.
2. Any fluctuation in blood pressure levels.
3. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
4. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, Calcium, etc. which also interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction.
5. Long term use of certain medications.

There is a condition known as Positional Alcohol Nystagmus, in which there is dizziness & jerky eye movement whenever the individual does any head movement & changes his posture.
This condition is caused due to the alcohol diffusing into the inner ear through blood capillaries, resulting in subsequent decrease in the specific gravity in the inner ear fluid.
The symptoms may persist even when alcohol has been eliminated out of the body & not detected in blood.

Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure and blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
A CT scan of brain might be required to rule out any pathology in the inner ear & Cerebello-pontine angle.

So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist & get a proper physical examination done.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, you should maintain adequate hydration, take a healthy balanced diet & avoid stress & alcohol.
Also, make sure that you do not get up or bend down suddenly and avoid sudden head movements.

Wishing a good health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.