Factor XIII deficiency, bleeding. Other diagnosis methods?

im a 36 year old female 120lbs 5'4 just got diagnoised with factor XIII deficiency.. i am awaiting the XXXXXXX sure procedure cause i bleed too much 2 a month. what is the next step after diagnoses of this disorder
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 48 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The treatment of a factor XIII deficiency will require close followup with your Hematologist. As far as factor supplementation, this is usually only necessary in the event of abnormal or excessive bleeding.

You indicated that you have heavy bleeding every month. If the bleeding is excessive enough to affect your hemoglobin level, then we would consider supplementation of Factor XIII. We typically see this in females during menstrual periods.

Beyond that, regular checkups with the Hematologist are the mainstay of good monitoring.

Your length and quality of life will not be affected especially now because your doctors are aware of this specific issue.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If there are any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Factor XIII deficiency, bleeding. Other diagnosis methods? 43 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. I actually had to have an iron infusion 2 months ago, and my b12 was so low that the doctor said it would start affecting my brain so I have to give myself b12 shots monthly. My ferritin was at a 2. My platletts always run kinda low too. i am just glad i have a name to all the problems i have had over my life.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again.

I am glad they have discovered these things for you as well - things which explain very likely why you must have been feeling ill and fatigued.

The iron level will be replenished quickly with the IV infusions. You may need to take a daily supplement also and your doctor will monitor your iron levels in the future as well. Same is true for the B12.

I think you will be looking forward to feeling better and better in the weeks and months to come!

Thanks again for the query and the privilege of discussing your health concerns.

Dr. Galamaga