Factor VIII is high and taking hormones for IVF. Will I have a blood clot?

Got labs back with a test Factor VIII f 183High (60-125) is this serious ? I am taking horomones (estrace )for iVF procedure soon in december . Is this mean i can have a blood clot? Should instop the horomones ! Please help !!!!!!
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observation needed

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Excess amounts of hormones can elevate factor eight levels. this has been described as a hypercoagulable state in some patients. I would review this carefully with your reproductive endocrinologist. If this is a temporary condition then continued close observation is needed. This condition should slowly improve as the hormone medication is withdrawn.

it is also possible that your doctors might be able to adjust the dosage of your medication. This is something that you should discuss with them in great detail.

also I would make sure that you remain very active. Avoid prolonged periods of sitting or inactivity. If you develop any worrisome symptoms such as leg swelling or shortness of breath you should bring this to the attention of your primary care doctor as soon as possible.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please discuss this in detail with your reproductive endocrinologist.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Factor VIII is high and taking hormones for IVF. Will I have a blood clot? 2 minutes later
I had ptt pt and anticouglant test done all negative. I take a asprin a day with the estrace . Did the asprin elevate the fa ctor8
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Aspirin does not affect Factor VIII levels directly. It sounds like you have no signs of active clotting at all. I think you are doing all of the right things at this time - close attention to any signs of clotting is needed and I am sure your doctors are aware of this.

Dr. Galamaga