Facing weight gain, disturbed sleep and hair loss. Thyroid test done. Precaution and cure required?

Dear Sir, My spouse was having problem of weight gain, disturbed sleep, hair loss during last few months. Keeping problems in view, we went for Thyroid Function Test on 05 Feb and the result is T3(Total) - 1.08, T4(Total) - 6.9 and TSH - 7.963. Lipid Profile Test result is Cholestrol -191, HDL-49, LDL-109 and Triglyceride-163. Result was shown to the Doctor, an M.D.(Medicine) and he has prescribed Eltroxin (50mcg) and Shelcal-HD for three months. May I know, beside said medicines does she need anything extra. What are food items (Indian), she should avoid ? Can she take XXXXXXX tea (we've tea only twice a day)? Other precautions she need to take? Thanking you in anticipation. With Warm Regards.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

Hypothyroidism is a common disorder, it is usually primary (the thyroid gland itself is not making enough of the hormone) but can be secondary (problems related to the pituitary or hypothalamus not stimulating the thyroid gland enough).

In terms of other aspects of treatment besides medication: (1) there are some foods that can potentially affect absorption of the thyroid hormone replacement medication- walnuts, soybean flour, iron supplements, calcium supplements, antiacids with calcium, magnesium or aluminum . There are no foods that affect the thyroid hormone directly
(2) activity- persons may have decreased muscle tone secondary to the hypothyroidism. This increases the risk of injury to ligaments particularly if excess force is used, caution should be used and any excess physical activity avoided for a few weeks.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Facing weight gain, disturbed sleep and hair loss. Thyroid test done. Precaution and cure required? 12 minutes later
Sir, thanks a ton for such a prompt reply. Sir, my doubt is that can she take XXXXXXX tea (which probably does not contain any caffeine), Milk or milk products. Also please answer whether can she have all kinds of vegetable? What are those food items (Indian) which affect the thyroid hormone indirectly?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Hi, she can eat any kind of vegetable , use XXXXXXX tea, any milk product.

At present there are no validated medical studies which indicate that any foods ,from anywhere affect thyroid hormone levels.

Please feel free to ask any other questions