Facing trouble in controlling blood pressure with the renal failure. Taking physiotens. Any solution?

I am having trouble controling my blood pressure i have a gfr of 10 so my kidneys are also not good i have had a fistula put in for future kidney dylasis i am currently taking 200m physiotens morning and night also half of hygroton 25 morning only i was on twynsta 40/5 but they did not seem to control it what in your opinion is the best drug to take in my case Regards XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 hours later

Thanks for asking.

Controlling the blood pressure with the renal failure is a difficult situation as most of drugs can not be given in high dosages.

You are on moxonidine and the fluid tablet, if these are not controlling the blood pressure, you should look at calcium channel blockers.

As you were given Amlodipine in only 5 mg dose before (in twynsta), you should talk to your doctor to prescribe amlodipine or some other drug from the same class,these drugs can be given in relatively high dose ( up to 20 mg ) or even more and they do not have much problem with the poor kidney function.

Second choice can be alpha one blockers, like prazosin or the other centrally acting medications like clonidine.

Hope it helps.

I am happy to take any follow up queries.