Facing the problem of stiff shoulder every morning. What is wrong?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. I have a stiff shoulder every morning when I wake up, it seems to be getting worse. It wears off a few minutes after I'm up, and it doesn't restrict movement etc. just stiff first thing and just the right shoulder. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Stiff shoulder every morning seems to be due to muscle spasm. It seems to be posture related as it doesn't restrict the movement.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Facing the problem of stiff shoulder every morning. What is wrong? 4 hours later
Hi. Thank you. Do you mean posture as in possibly sleeping position? I do sleep on my stomach with this arm under my pillow.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the muscle spasm in morning seems to be related to your sleeping position that is arm under pillow.
Do not worry, change your sleeping posture. Do some stretching exercises of shoulder to relive the spasm.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.
I will appreciate your reviews about this service.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.