Facing stomach issues and inconsistent stool. Prescribed Pentab, Pankreoflat and folitab. Feel weakness. Infection?

May 2014

As mentioned in my profile - I had been facing minor stomach issues - flatulence, inconsistent stool etc. It was an on-off kind of a problem. I had been advised to take Pentab (before b/f in morning), Pankreoflat (post lunch) and folitab (post dinner). I have been taking the same for 2 weeks now. However, the situation has not improved. It is leadiing to some general feeling of weakness as well. By the evening(and early morning after waking up) there is some flatulence which smells. I think there is some infection. Please advise
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
This is Dr Vivek replying to your answer.

I suppose you have been facing minor digfestive problems for a while and also been under medication.

Let me detail your medications:
1. Pantoprazole: This is a proton pump inhibitor and decreases acid production in stomach. It is to be taken before food as you are doing.
2. Pankreoflat: this is pancreatin of porcine origin and contains equivalent to (6500 FIP units lipase, 5500 FIP units amylase and 400 FIP units protease). This is for reduction of flatulance.
3. Folitab: this is folic acid.

Since you have taken ot only for 2 weeks, results may not be very promising. You may please allow for some more time for the response to occur completely.

Probiotics or lactobacillus capsule could be taken after consulting your doctor. This is to generate good bacteria in your intestine.

Please get an ultrasound scan abdomen done if required after discussing with your doctor.

If you feel there is some infection, I would like you to get stool for parasites and ova. This test is almost confirmatory.

Please let me know if you have been to a gastroenterologist and got colonocsopy done.

Further questions welcome.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: Facing stomach issues and inconsistent stool. Prescribed Pentab, Pankreoflat and folitab. Feel weakness. Infection? 16 minutes later

Let me continue with the medication for a while and revert again in case the issue is not resolved
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Hoping towards a quicker response to your medications.

Meanwhile I would suggest that presently, you please decrease intake of certain flatulence producing foods like the following:
Mild products

Further questions always welcome. Please close the thread and post a feedback if your problem is resolved in due course.

Dr Vivek