Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure?

Psychiatrist
Question
hi doc!i just want to ask.Because i have been having a hard time falling and stayin asleep,is there any vitamins and supplements i can take tomake me easily sleep and sty asleep?i have been like worried everytime i did't have a good nught sleep.your advice is highly appreciated!thank u so much!
I don't want to take sleeping pills.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 23 minutes later
Hello.......
Thanks for your query. I understand that you are suffering from both initial and middle insomnia. Considering your aversion for sleeping pills, i would suggest what we refer to as "sleep hygiene". The steps for sleep hygiene include avoiding tea/coffee/carbonated drinks after 7 PM; avoiding afternoon naps; waking up at the same time every day irrespective of the time you sleep; ensuring adequately dark and comfortable place for sleep; avoid bed for everything except sleep and not to spend beyond 10 minutes in bed if unable to sleep. As with regard to nutrient supplements, tryptophan aminoacid is called "nature's valium (a sleeping pill). Warm milk, soya, white meat all contain this amino acid and hence might be beneficial. Do not worry about poor sleep. It leads to further poorer sleep by a vicious mechanism. Wish you sound sleep.
Dr Sundar
Neuro-Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure? 2 hours later
i am from the philippines doc and we migrated to canada 2009..way back home i never had a hard time falling and staying asleep just here in canada especially when the cold months are here.can winter contribute to the onset of insomnia?thank you!

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 minutes later
Hello......
It is very much possible due to derangement of your brain's biological clock called as circadian rythm. In this case it becomes all the more important to follow steps of sleep hygiene that i suggested. There is a medication called ramelteon/melatonin that has been recently devised (not a sleeping pill) which might be effective in your cases. Seasonal insomnia in winter in migrants is a well recognised entity. Hope you find the information useful.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure? 6 hours later
how long should i take melatonin doc?thank u so much for your help doc!

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 4 hours later
Hello........
The drug is to be taken for atleast 2-3 months. The onset of effect would be within 7-10 days. 8 mg dosage single tablet to be taken 30 min before sleep.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure? 10 hours later
hi doc!
is it okay to take melatonin with grapefruit juice?
Your help is very much appreciated.
Thank u!

Yes you can. Grape juice is hypothesised to contain traces of melatonin. Neverthless, it is not sufficient to lead to overdoasge. So nothing to worry.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure? 21 minutes later
thank u doc!
I just need to follow your advice and the sleep hygiene and my sleep cycle will go back again?
Thank u so muc doc!
God bless!

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 minutes later
Ya sure, you will regain your bio-rhythm gradually. Thanks for your blessings.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure? 25 hours later

doc,just want to ask..because my husband loves playing online and go to bed late,everytime he goes to bed i am so worried and afraid that he'll be snoring and i will be wide awake.what should i do?thank u!

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 6 minutes later
This is to be discussed with your husband in a non-confrontational way. Advise him to sleep early in the night and maintain regular cycle. Try to talk to him the cons of sleeping late and pros of sleeping early. Advise him sleeping late affects his work level as well the following day.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Facing sleeping problem. Is there any medicine for cure? 1 hour later
last night doc i haven't slept again.i am so worried that tonight i might not sleep again.
When this thing happen i just burst into tears cause i am scared and worried.

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 10 minutes later
As i mentioned already, this is a vicious cycle. the only way to break it is to inculcate a care-free attitude i.e even if you do not sleep well it is unlikely to affect you majorly. You can also try distracting yourself with music/books.
Dr Sundar