Facing severe pain on hands,legs and gastric trouble. Is it compulsory to take duvadilan retard during pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Is it compulsory to take duvadilan retard in 24 weeks pregnancy. M facing severe pain on my hands and legs gastic trouble. Is it must to take for safer pregnancy upto 37 weeks ? Is it safe for my baby?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Duvadilan Retard contains isoxsuprine as active ingredient and generally used to relax blood vessels and uterine muscle.

However, it is not a mandatory medicine that needs to be taken from 24th to 37th week of pregnancy. It is usually prescribed to prevent preterm labor or in high risk pregnancy like previous H/O miscarriage, preterm delivery etc.

If you are experiencing painful abdominal cramp quite often, then you have to take these medicine to get relief from this. It is combined with H2 blocker like Ranitidine tab (Rantac 150 mg) to avoid gastric irritation. Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this and adverse effects which you are facing.

Yes, duvadilan is quite safe and no study shows that it causes any harmful effect to growing baby. So, you wouldn't be worried.

In addition, you must take balanced diet with extra protein & vegetables, drink plenty of water (2.5-3 lit/day) with salt and sugar or fruit juice to correct electrolyte imbalance, avoid mental stress, take adequate bed rest and do periodic check up to your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through